16 Sep Overnight Oats with Strawberry Chia Jam
It can be difficult to find different healthy breakfast options. So when I found this recipe on MindBodyGreen, I was wrapped as I had all the ingredients already in my fridge and cupboard. This recipe can easily be prepared the night before and quickly put together for a breakfast on the go the next morning.
Strawberry Chia Jam
- 2 1/2 cups (300g) chopped strawberries
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a medium sized pot, stir together the strawberries and maple syrup on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Once the strawberries become very watery, lower the heat and use a hand blender or a fork to mash the strawberries, leaving some chunky strawberry bits until you reach your desired texture.
- Add the chia seeds and cook the mixture for another 5 to 7 minutes on a low heat until it thickens.
- Once thick, remove the jam from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Pour the jam into a glass jar and leave it to cool completely before covering the jar and placing it into the fridge. The jam should keep for at least a week in a sealed jar or air-tight container.
- 1 cup oats
- 1 1/2 cups of milk of your choice (I used coconut milk, another great option would be almond milk)
- Combine the oats and almond milk in a mason jar or container and stir well. Place in the fridge for 3 hours or overnight.
- Remove it in the morning, stir in 2 tablespoons of strawberry chia jam. I also served with greek yogurt and cinnamon.
Adapted from recipe found on MindBodyGreen: